To better acquaint the public with the organisations participating in OUTing the Past 2018, Festival Hub partners have been generously offering insight to their backgrounds and histories. In light of their upcoming OUTing the Past 2018 celebration, here is a brief glimpse of the Higgins Bedford:
The museum is housed in what was The Higgins and Sons brewery and family home, built in the early 1840s. Cecil Higgins later founded the museum through his bequest, opening in 1949.
Visitors today can enjoy watercolour, print and decorative art collections of international significance, including major collections of works by architect William Burges and artist Edward Bawden. Local collections tell the story of Bedford and its people through archaeological finds, natural history, geology and social history. Current special exhibitions include Sankofa: Bedfordshire’s Black History Uncovered and A Walk in the Woods: A Celebration of Trees in British Art.
We offer a warm welcome to OUTing the Past festival goers as a new hub venue this year and look forward to you joining us for a voyage of discovery through the rich diversity of speakers and discussions at The Higgins Bedford on the theme of Geography: Mapping the World.
The Higgins Bedford is situated at the heart of Bedford’s Cultural Quarter a short walk from the High Street. For information about how to get to The Higgins Bedford by Bus, Train, Road, Cycle and information about parking please see the ‘How to Find Us’ page on our website: http://www.thehigginsbedford.org.uk/visit_us/how_to_find_us.aspx
For more information about The Higgins Bedford
please visit: http://www.thehigginsbedford.org.uk/
Festival Programme: firstname.lastname@example.org
Specific enquiries to: Lydia.Saul@bedford.gov.uk
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @LGBTHM for more posts about OUTing the Past 2018!